- 4 cups mixed beans
- 1 large ham hock, cut into a few pieces
- Chicken broth to cover, approximately 8-10 cups (water may be substituted in a pinch)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 6-8 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 T oregano
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T paprika
- 1/3 c parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1 T vinegar based hot sauce such as Tabasco or Frank’s Red Hot, more or less to taste
- 1-2 t each salt and pepper plus more to taste
- Soak beans in cold water over night.
- Place ham hock chunks in the bottom of a stock pot or slow cooker.
- Drain and rinse beans and add them to the pot.
- Add onion, pepper, garlic, oregano, chili powder, paprika, hot sauce, salt and pepper, and parsley if using. Stir all ingredients together.
- Bring to a boil if cooking on stove or set on high if using a slow cooker.
- Once the beans have boiled for 15-20 minutes reduce heat or set slow cooker to low or medium and continue cooking 3-5 hours until beans are softened and ham pulls off the shank easily. Add more salt, pepper, and/or hot sauce to taste.
- Serve, reserving the ham bone when finished for stock or soup flavoring.