- ~2T butter or olive oil
- 1 small onion, roughly diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 leek, white and green portions
- 5 green bell peppers
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 small plumb or campari tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Note: I started with this recipe as a base, but made a number of changes, both to use up things I had and for taste.
- Roast green peppers until charred under a broiler, turning frequently to achieve equal charring. Then remove as much skin as feasible under cold water. Also remove core and seeds at this time.
- Heat olive oil and/or butter over medium high heat in a pot or dutch oven.
- Add garlic, onion and leak and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
- Add green peppers, avocado, and tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium low and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to blender or food processor working in batches if necessary. Alternatively you can use an immersion blender. Either way process until it is smooth.
- Return to the pot or dutch oven on medium heat. Add the heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve once heated thoroughly. This dish can also be served chilled later on.